Saturday December 07, 2013
Online Legal Research Sources - United States
- GPO Access, (including FDsys: Federal Digital System) a service of the Government Printing Office. A collection of major sources, full text, including the budget; Code of Federal Regulations and Federal Register; Commerce Business Daily; congressional bills, calendars, directories, hearings, prints, reports, the Congressional Record, and other
materials; Economic Indicators and President's Economic Report; General Accounting Office reports; selected administrative agency decisions; Supreme Court
opinions; and U.S. Code and session laws. Also see Data.gov.
- Thomas, from the
Library of Congress. A collection of legislative resources, including bills,
bill status, committee reports and websites, the Congressional Record,
Presidential nominations, treaties, and other material.
- Federal Law, from Cornell University's Legal Information Institute. Contains the U.S. Code, the Code of Federal Regulations, and decisions from the Supreme Court and Courts of Appeals.
- USA.gov, the federal government's portal
to information and services. Also includes state, local, and tribal
- lexisONE, free federal and state
caselaw and other material
- Findlaw, free federal and state materials and other material, including LawCrawler, a legal web & databases search engine
- Washlaw Web, links to Federal Government internet resources and other government related material (Washburn)
- Federal Government Resources on the Web from University of Michigan Documents
- Public.Resource.Org a bulk depository of a variety of free government and agency documents, reports, etc.
LAWS, LEGISLATION & CONGRESS
COURT OPINIONS, RULES
ADMINISTRATIVE RULES, REGULATIONS, DECISIONS
PUBLIC RECORD DATABASES
Laws, Legislation & Congress
Bills & Resolutions: Legislation being considered by Congress
Public Laws: Laws passed by Congress & signed by the President, in date order
- Thomas: arranged by Congress then public law number,
from 1973 (93d Congress).
- GPO Access: searchable, from
1995 (104th Congress).
- FDsys: Federal Digital System (in beta) public access to US information of Congress and Federal agencies
- Authenticated public
and private laws from GPO Access: searchable, from 2007. (Digitally
signed and certified)
- classification tables from the Office of the Law Revision Counsel: provides
U.S. Code citations for public laws and U.S. Code sections affected by recently
U.S. Statutes at Large: slip laws organized by Congress and session
U.S. Code: Laws in force arranged by subject
- GPO Access: searchable,
1994 & 2000 editions, with supplements.
- GPO Access: browsable by title, chapter, and section,
- US House of
Representatives: current edition, with supplements, in PDF; arranged by
- Cornell's Legal Information Institute:
searchable, current edition.
- Findlaw; searchable,
- Office of Law Revision Counsel: searchable,
Congressional Record: Transcript of proceedings in the U.S. Congress
- GPO Access: searchable, from 1995 (104th Congress).
- CR index from GPO Access: searchable, from 1983.
- CR from Thomas: searchable, from 1990 (101st Congress).
- CR, Permanent
edition, from GPO Access: searchable, vol. 145, 1999 (106th Congress, 1st
Session); more volumes to be added
- Annals of Congress, 1st Congress through 18th Congress, 1st
session, from the Library of Congress: covers 1789-1824.
- Register of Debates, 18th Congress, 2d through 25th Congress,
1st session, from the Library of Congress: covers 1824-37.
- Congressional Globe, 23d-42d Congresses, from the Library of Congress:
Committee Reports - House, Senate & Executive reports (Serial Set)
- reports from GPO Access: searchable, from
11995 (104th Congress).
- reports from Thomas: searchable, from 1995 (104th Congress).
- historical Serial Set volumes, from the Library of Congress: selected volumes from
the 23d Congress, 1833-35; 56th Congress, 1899-1901; and the 58th Congress, 1903-05 (Journals of the Confederate Congress).
Committee Documents, Hearings & Testimony
- documents from GPO Access: searchable, from 1995 (104th Congress).
- hearings from GPO Access: searchable, from 1997 (105th
- selected witness statements from House and Senate committees: select committee by pull-down menu.
Other Historical Congressional Material
Court Opinions, Rules
U.S. Supreme Court (official site)
||provides parallel citations
||search by keyword or party name
||search by U.S. reports citation, party name, or keyword
||search by keyword or party name
||search by keyword
||search by U.S. Reports citation, party name, or keyword
Information Institute (Cornell)
||more than 600 historically significant cases; search by topic, party,
or author of the opinion
||Federal Legal Information Through Electronics (FLITE) database from
the Air Force
||useful for recent slip opinions &r bound volumes (vol. 502-date)
Information Institute (Cornell)
||include links to cited sources (U.S. Code, CFR, other cases) that are
also available at LII
||U.S. Supreme Court Case Summaries, Oral Arguments & Multimedia
Other Federal Courts
- AltLaw: appellate cases,
- Justia, US Court of
Appeals Cases & Opinions: 1950-date, searchable.
- PreCYdent: Federal Reporter, 2d & F.3d, 1950-date, searchable;
federal district courts, 2004-date, searchable.
- Public Library of
Law: appellate cases, 1950-date, searchable
- lexisONE: searchable, last five years,
- Cornell Legal
Information Institute: searchable, coverage varies.
- Findlaw: searchable,
- Title 28 (Supreme Court Rules, Appellate Procedure, Civil, Evidence)
- Title 18 (Criminal)
Administrative Rules, Regulations, Decisions
Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
Rules and regulations issued by executive branch & independent agencies.
- CFR from GPO Access: searchable, editions from 1996.
- CFR from the Cornell's Legal Information Institute: searchable, current.
- Electronic CFR from
browse by CFR citation; integrates adopted regulations from the Federal Register, experimental.
Federal Register (FR)
Updates regulations in the CFR, includes executive orders.
- FR from GPO Access: searchable, from 1995.
- Regulations.gov, a website providing proposed regulations from the Federal
Register and online forms for submitting comments about proposed regulations, current.
Presidential Executive Orders, Proclamations & Other Documents
Administrative Agency Decisions
Public Record Databases
For additional government databases, see:
Executive Branch & General U.S. Government
Law Schools / Lawyers
Multi-State, Multi-Source Sites
- State and Local Government on the Net from Piper
Resources: arranged by state, includes links to state homepages, directories, and websites of elected officials, the
legislature, the judiciary, executive branch agencies, boards and commissions, regional organizations, and municipalities.
- State Legal
Sources on the Web, from the University of Michigan Documents Center. Links
to and describes years of coverage for bills, session laws, codes and
constitutions, regulations, executive orders, attorney general opinions,
courts, newspapers, and state law libraries.
- State Resource Center from lexisONE:
arranged by state.
- LexisNexis free Legal Research center and attorney directory by Lawyers.com. Links to state statutes
and selected state agencies. Also includes articles and links by area of law.
- State Resources from Findlaw:
arranged by state, includes links to constitutions, legislation, laws, administrative codes and registers, attorney general
opinions, and other legal materials.
- GovEngine: a portal to
federal and state government agencies and courts.
- Zimmerman's Research Guide, an online encyclopedia
- Full-text state statutes and legislation on the Internet
lexisONE, free state appellate
cases, last five years only (registration required)
PreCYdent: appellate cases,
coverage varies by state.
Public Library of Law:
appellate cases, 1997-date, searchable.
Court Web Sites
from the National
Center for State Courts
: arranged by state.
Court Rules, Forms, and Dockets from LLRX: searchable by jurisdiction and type of resource.
Administrative codes and registers
Agency Databases, a wiki list by state, from the American Library
Association's Government Documents Round Table.
Cities & Counties